Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It Was The Tequila Talking

Massachusetts has the toughest law. In that state (please don't ask me to spell that again), real estate agents cannot refer inspectors. Period. Whether real or perceived, the conflict, or potential for conflict of interest is too great, so they outlawed it. Here in our soggy corner, the local multiple listing service has a requirement that agents must disclose the full extent of each relationship with those that they refer to clients. Good idea I guess. I think maybe. Possibly. Sometimes. At least it would make for some interesting reading, wouldn't it?

So yesterday while doing a job I am discussing this with the agent that referred me. When we met at the condo me and the agent hugged, and the client hugged the agent too. No grab-ass, just a meaningful hug. That's just how we roll.

"So Mary," I said in front of the client, her boyfriend, and her two year old kid, "did you disclose the FULL extent of our relationship?" I was smirking (trying not to) and so everyone else started smirking as I was trying to set a tone.

"Purely Professional", was her measured response followed by her trademark cackle.

I paused thoughtfully and came back with, "yeah, except for that one night, many years ago, remember Mary? Lonely, moonless night, the grey Subaru, Renton Avenue....ringing any bells for you?"

Mary is very good, very quick, and I give her credit: "Darrell, that was the tequila talking that night, and in no way reflects on our professional relationship."

No comments:

Post a Comment